What are development charges?
Development charges are used to pay capital projects that are needed to meet the increased demand for services and infrastructure that is generated by growth. More people mean more vehicles on our roads and more demand for ambulances and health services.
Development charges are fees charged to each new development that offset these increased costs. The charges can only be used for specific projects. Without development charges, the bill for increasing or improving services gets added to the property taxes of current residents. Development charges are payable at the time a building permit is issued.
2023 Development Charges
Single and semi-detached residential
Row housing and other multiple residential
|2023 Charge||$9,183 per unit||$6,341 per unit||$5,281 per unit||$9.05 per square metre|
In 2021, Grey County completed a Development Charges Background Study to ensure charges are meeting the goals of Grey County as we continue to experience growth and increased demand on services.
A public meeting was held on October 28, 2021, to get feedback from stakeholders and the public. Comments received at these meetings were considered by the Development Charges Steering Committee before they made their recommendations to County Council.
On December 9, 2021, Grey County Council passed By-Law 5127-22 and By-Law 5128-22 affecting development charges.
- 5127-22 County-Wide Roads and Related Development Charges
- By-law 5128-22 General Services Development Charges
Development Charges Resources
- 2022 Development Charges Brochure (November 28, 2022 to December 31, 2022)
- 2021 Development Charges Brochure
- 2019 Development Charges Reserve Fund Report and Attachments
- 2018 Development Charges Reserve Fund Report and Attachments
- 2017 Development Charges Reserve Fund Report and Attachments
- 2016 Development Charges Background Study and By-laws